Pro Dual Strike
Reviewed by Voxeros (11th October 99)
Sidewinder Pro Dual Strike Features
|Programmable buttons||The SideWinder Dual Strike has 6 programmable buttons, 2 triggers, an 8-way d-pad, and a shift button.|
|Rotating right pod||Dual Strike allows the first person gamer to more easily control difficult moves like strafing and circle strafing, while also enhancing the ability to aim at targets in the game.|
|Left pod||The left hand controls agility movements for running, dodging, and side-stepping.|
|Game schemes||Includes 20 pre-defined game schemes from popular games.|
|Plug-and-play||Uses USB technology for easy plug-and-play.|
|SideWinder Game Controller Software||Includes SideWinder Game Controller Software for customizing settings and programming buttons and triggers.|
<Introduction><Likes><Dislikes><Wish List ><Conclusion><Rating>
Just when we thought we have reached the end of gaming peripherals, Microsoft has once again made us eat our shoe with the introduction of the Sidewinder Dual Strike.
With a suggested retail price at S$88.00, this game controller will prove to be a hit with all gamers out there without having the price as an obstacle.
This controller will mean the end of keyboard cum mouse gaming combination which up to date, none of us are still comfortable with. The main problem with keyboard-mouse combination is that you need three hands to effectively master it (two on the keyboard and one on the mouse). So the most obvious question would be "How is it possible to play with only two hands?"
With the Sidewinder Dual Strike, Microsoft has hit the bulls-eye spot on with this gadget. To use the game controller, you will have to hold it like any other game pad. The right portion of the controller allows you to rotate left-to-right as well as front-to-back. The right thumb controls 4 buttons while the left thumb controls an eight-way hat switch, 2 buttons and a shift button. On both sides of the controller comes two trigger button for each hand.
While holding it for the very first time, it was a small wonder to start thinking about Tomb Raider III, Quake 2 and other first-persons and action/adventure games. Straffing and directional looking can be easily accomplished by this wonderful controller. The shift key, without have to place more buttons on the controller, not only allows more functions to be performed but also facilitates a clean, uncluttered (too many buttons) and elegant look.
Back to top
- The new look is refreshing and it sure stands out from all the other game pads in the market.
- USB connectivity means that installation is a piece of cake. It was up in no time.
- Sensitivity can be easily calibrated to suit the individual user with much ease.
- With 16 buttons available for customization, game play has never been easier.
- With the fact that the keyboard and mouse have been replaced, the user is, for the first time, able to play a game without the discomfort of having to sit upright at the computer table all the while.
Back to top
- A tad too big for the average Asian hand size.
- The learning curve to mastering this peripheral may be unnerving for some.
- The games that will benefit from this device are limited. This means that for some other games like Flight Simulators for example, will still be better if played with the joystick. So remember, do not throw away your joystick just yet.
- With the fact that it is only USB compatible, older PC without USB ports will be left out of the loop here.
- Also, Sidewinder Dual Strike requires Windows98 (or Windows 95 with OSR 2.1) and as such, another group of the market will be shut out from this magnificent device.
Back to top
- A left handed version of the device
- Slightly smaller in built, especially the grip.
- Force feedback?? yum!
Back to top
All in all, this Sidewinder Dual Strike is a winner. However, one has to keep in mind that the purchase of this product will be an add-on to your system setup, but it will never be able to replace the joystick completely. In addition, because of the new concept in the usage of the controls, getting to learn and master the device will become a game by itself. An important point to note is that it will be unsettling for most gamers in the beginning. It is common to experience a dip in gamers skill performance due to unfamiliarity with the device. Perhaps it is only right to acknowledge we should not blame the device for our poor play in the initial stages, which we are all so prone to. A true gamer never blames his tools of trade. Hence, put forth the challenge and bite the bullet. Master and not to be enslaved by it.
Back to top
Any comments/remarks/questions? Click picture below.
This product is provided courtesy of
Copyright © 1999 by Singapore Hardware Zone. All rights reserved.
None of the above shall be reproduced, copied and/or
modified without the permission of the WebMaster.